Mark’s practice involves matters related to water, energy and electricity, transactions, corporations and real property. His experience in Colorado Water Courts includes adjudication of tributary and nontributary water rights and plans for augmentation, changes of water rights and exchanges. His regulatory experience before the Colorado Public Utilities Commission includes electric resource planning, CPCN proceedings, transmission, ratemaking proceedings, energy efficiency dockets and rulemakings. Mark also practices before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission in matters related to transmission and to hydropower development. Mark's practice involves regulatory matters, litigation, legislative and policy work, as well as transactions, corporate matters, public land law, real estate/easement related legal issues and transactions, as well as energy and energy efficiency project development. Mark represents developers of natural gas projects, renewable energy projects, governmental entities, private and non-profit corporations, as well as individuals.
Originally from New York, Mr. Detsky is a 2003 graduate of the University of Colorado School of Law and a 1997 graduate of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor. In 2004, he was staff attorney for the Amendment 37 campaign, which resulted in the first popular vote on passage of a renewable energy standard in the United States. Mark has published articles on geothermal law, changes of water rights, ditch company easements as well as wind and solar energy. Mark also published a novel, entitled As Fast As It Is Gone, in 2007.
University of Michigan-Ann Arbor, Bachelor of Arts, 1997
University of Colorado, Juris Doctorate, 2003
AREA OF PRACTICE
- Energy and Utility Law
- Water Law
State of Colorado, (2003)
U.S. District Court, D. Colo.
- with Gabriella Stockmayer, Electric Vehicles: Rolling Over Barriers and Merging With Regulation, William and Mary Environmental Law and Policy Review, Vol. 40, No. 2 (March 2016).
- Getting Into Hot Water: the Law of Geothermal Energy in Colorado, published in the September 2010 issue of the Colorado Lawyer.
- Current Issues with Changes of Water Rights Involving Shares of Mutual Ditch Companies, in Ditch and Reservoir Company Alliance, co-authored with Jeffrey J. Kahn (Sept. 2007).
- Against the Wind: Implementing Renewable Energy in Colorado, Boulder County Bar Newsletter (May 2006).
- Ditch Rights: The Law of Irrigation Easements and Rights of Way, in COLORADO WATER LAW BENCH BOOK, Colorado Bar Association, co-authored with Jeffrey J. Kahn (2006).
- Comment, The Murkey Sea over the Magnificent Whale, Colo. Journal Int. Env. L. Policy 2002 Yearbook (Summer 2003).
- Note, The Global Light: Lessons for US Solar Policy, 14 Colo. Journal Int. Env. L. Policy 301 (Spring 2003).