Peter is enjoying his transition into retirement. Peter Dietze’s distinguished practice began in 1963. In 2008, the University of Colorado Law School recognized Peter for his Distinguished Achievement in the Practice of law. In 2007, he was awarded the Boulder County Bar Association’s Ron Porter Award of Merit, recognizing his outstanding achievement, dedication to the legal profession and selfless service to the community. Peter’s practice includes the field of real estate title insurance law, representing national title insurance carriers in coverage disputes, and counseling clients with respect to coverage issues of large claims involving real property located in Colorado and numerous other states. He represents policy holders, including owners of commercial properties, homeowners, farmers and ranchers, and commercial lending institutions with respect to real estate claims by third parties. Peter’s practice also extends to land use matters (rezoning, planned unit developments, special use permits) and litigation and appeals in the state and federal court systems.
AREA OF PRACTICE
- Civil Litigation
- Title Insurance Law
- Zoning and Land Use Matters
- Real Estate Transactions
- Commercial Law
University of Colorado, Bachelor of Arts, 1959
University of Colorado, L.L.B., 1962
State of Colorado, 1962
U.S. District Court, District of Colorado, 1962
U.S. Court of Appeals, 10th Circuit, 1962, Denver, CO
U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit, 1986, San Francisco, CA
U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit, 1995, St. Louis, MO
Shareholder, Dietze and Davis, P.C. (1972 - present)
City Attorney, City of Boulder, (1965 - 1968)
Assistant City Attorney, (1963 - 1965)
Law Clerk to U.S. District Judge H. Chilson (1962-1963)
Regent, University of Colorado (1979 - 1996)
CU Law Alumni Advisory Board (2002 - 2006)
University of Colorado Real Estate Foundation (2002 - 2008)
Boulder County and Colorado Bar Associations
University of Colorado Alumni Association, Directors’ Club
Boulder Rotary Club (1968 - 2009)
Mt. Calvary Lutheran Church, Boulder
Co-author of two chapters on title insurance, water rights and coverage, Practicing Law Institute N4-450, Course Handbook Series No. 358, 1990.
Co-author of chapter on municipal law and practice, King, Colorado Practice, 1970.
Appeals and Reported Decisions
Peter Dietze has participated in over fifty Colorado appellate court cases and several federal appellate court cases.
Listed below are cases involving title insurance issues:
- Chicago Title Ins. Co. v. The Huntington Bank, Supreme Court of Ohio, 1999.
- Steinle v. Knowles, 265 Kan. 545, 961 P.2d 1228 (Kan., 1998).
- Chicago Title Ins. Co. v. RTC, (Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals, 1995).
- First Federal Saving and Loan Ass’n of Fargo, N.D. v. Transamerica Title Ins. Co., 19 F.3d 528 (10th Cir.Colo., 1994).
- First Federal Saving and Loan Ass’n of Fargo, N.D. v. Transamerica Title Ins. Co., 793 F.Supp. 265 (D.Colo., 1992).
- Sims v. Sperry, 835 P.2d 565 (Colo., 1990).
- Transamerica Title Ins. Co. v. Alaska Federal Sav. and Loan Ass’n of Juneau, 833 F.2d 775 (9th Cir. Alaska, 1987).
- McRill v. Guaranty Federal Savings & Loan Ass’n of St. Petersburg, Fla., 682 P.2d 498 (Colo.App., 1984).
- Van Winkle v. Transamerica Title Ins. Co., 697 P.2d 784 (Colo.App., 1984).
- Bankers Trust Co. V. Transamerica Title Ins. Co., 594 F.2d 231 (10th Cir.Colo., 1979).